Alaska Tobacco Control Alliance
By joining the Alaska Tobacco Control Alliance, you can become a member of a team of Alaskans working together to help stop the leading cause of preventable death in our state.
Tobacco use is a serious health problem in Alaska. More than one in four Alaskan adults smoke cigarettes and nearly half of them will die prematurely as a result. Tobacco use is responsible for more than 500 deaths in Alaska annually and is the single most preventable cause of death and disease in the state. In addition to the harmful effects of tobacco use, an estimated 120 Alaskans die each year from diseases caused by exposure to secondhand smoke. The annual economic cost of tobacco-related mortality exceeds $320 million.
Why Become a Member?
As an ATCA member, you can work with us to prevent unnecessary suffering, disease, and death in our state due to tobacco use and secondhand smoke. In addition, membership allows you the opportunity to keep current with the ever-changing state, national and international tobacco prevention and control efforts while affecting healthy changes in your community.
Here are other benefits of joining ATCA:
- Access quarterly e-newsletters describing Alaska tobacco prevention efforts
- Receive periodic action alerts on pending State of Alaska legislation
- Access steering committee agendas and minutes (meetings are open to the public)
- Nominate and vote for steering committee members during elections
- Serve on any ATCA workgroup or subcommittee